Photography Andy Arnfield – The Gourmet Grocer
I just love pumpkin soup, and as blood oranges are in season then what a better way to combine the two. Also I just couldn’t resist the baby pumpkins I found at the market to use as bowls to make this dish extra special
- 450g pumpkin cut into chunks
- one onion chopped
- 4 garlic cloves crushed
- 300mls blood orange juice and zest
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 large carrot cut into chunks
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- pinch nutmeg
- Thyme leaves and creme fresh to garnish
- 2 tbsp thyme, to garnish
1. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large saucepan and cook the onion gently for 5 minutes, until softened.
2. Add the pumpkin, carrot, orange zest and juice, garlic, and stock. Season to taste. Bring to a boil, lower temperature and simmer for 25 minutes, until vegetables are tender.
3. Remove the saucepan from the heat and liquidise the soup with a hand-held blender until smooth.
4 Grate in a good pinch of nutmeg, season with salt and pepper and garnish with creme fraiche and thyme leaves
Serve into warm bowls with crusty bread but for a bit of posh I have uses these cute baby pumpkins as bowls.