Here is a monster of a meat ball recipe using a mixture of pork and beef mince, also with a chunk of mozzarella hidden inside which oozes out when you cut into them. And the roasted pepper sauce is perfect with the punch of chilli. Enjoy
For the meatballs
- 250 g minced beef
- 250g minced pork
- 50 g fresh breadcrumbs
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- handfuls of fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 75 g mozzarella
- 3 tbsp olive oil
For the sauce
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 red chilli deseeded
- 2 roasted red peppers, (from a jar)
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- juice of 1 oranges
- 200 ml beef stock
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 50 g stoned green olives, sliced
- spaghetti, to serve
1. For the meatballs
2. Mix the minced beef with the breadcrumbs, garlic, seasoning, parsley and oregano.
3. Mix well with damp hands and make 10-12 balls.
4. Cut the mozzarella into 10-12 chunks.
5. Flatten each meatball and press a piece of mozarella into the centre. Gather the meat around it and pinch to make sure it is sealed.
6. Heat the oil in a large frying pan and fry for around 10 minutes, turning occasionally.
7. For the sauce Fry the onion in the pan juices until softened.
8. Add the tomato puree, orange juice, chopped chilli, stock roasted red peppers and vinegar.
9. Bring to the boil, then using a hand blender, puree the sauce a little.
10. Return the meatballs to the pan and simmer for 25 minutes until cooked through.
11. Just before serving add the olives.
12. Serve with spaghetti and a ton of freshly grated parmesan.